Version 2.13 (March 8, 2018)
Added support for Romanian - special thanks to Vlăduț Ilie.
- Fixed a bug in Visual Basic .NET generated code. Call Statements
weren't putting parathesis around the arguments.
Version 2.12.2 (March 6, 2018)
- The Source Code Viewer now remembers if you selected line numbers.
This setting is saved so that, the next time the application is opened,
it will retain its value.
- The Function Manager now checks an function, on the list, after a
- Bug Fixes:
- Pascal generated code was improved. The generated code was in
inserting a semicolon after every statement rather than just between
them. In Pascal, the semicolon is a statement separator rather than
a delimited. Some compilers allow it to be used as a delimiter, but
not all. The generated code was also using StrToFloat rather than
FloatToStr for concatenation. Special thanks to Dr. Richard Lui
for his help.
- In the Source Code Viewer, VBA (Visual Basic for Applications)
was displaying the aligned/hanging option even though it doesn't
- IBO Pseudocode and Gaddis Pseudocode were not displaying the
"end". This was careless mistake.
Version 2.12.1 (February 28, 2018)
- Updated the title bar on the main window. Now, the system will
display the name of the file, a dash, and then "Flowgorithm". This is
consistent with how most applications use the title bar. The version,
which used to be displayed as part of the title bar, now is displayed in
the footer when the application first loads.
- Made some cosmetic changes to the About Window.
- Fixed a bug in the Edit Function Window. If the user tabs to the
Return Type dropdown, the system wasn't enabling the Variable Name
field. Special thanks to Nathan Todd.
- Fixed a bug in the VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) generated
code. I had failed to as the "As" clause to functions. Thanks to Nic
Lightfoot for letting me know.
Version 2.12 (February 21, 2018)
Added support for Malay - special thanks to Husnil Khatimi Hussin.
The Italian translation was updated - thanks to Roberto Atzori.
When an error occurs, the window will now highlight the shape before
displaying the error window.
Source Code Viewer:
- Added "Auto Pseudocode". This pseudocode is generated
by using the current translation. This means that, for example, if
Flowgorithm is in Spanish, it will produce Spanish pseudocode. This
is the case for all other languages: Korean, Farsi, Arabic, Italian,
- Added Smalltalk. Invented by Alan Kay, Smalltalk created
the concept of Object Oriented Programming.
- Added PowerShell. This is a scripting language, created by
Microsoft, that combines concepts of Smalltalk, Perl, and .NET.
- Incomplete shapes are were improved. When a shape is incomplete,
empty fields will now contain the field's name. Each name is
from the current translation. So, for example, if the current
translation is Spanish, then the incomplete fields will contain
- The line numbers are now right aligned
- VBA generated code was improved. Special thanks to Nic
- When source code is saved, the system will only used UTF-8 if a
Unicode (non-ASCII) character is present. Otherwise, it will default
- Greatly improved the generated code for: C#, Lua, Pascal, Perl,
and Visual Basic .NET.
- The last language used is now saved in the Registry.
- Bug fix: If a number is used with the Len() function, the system was
incorrectly specifying it needed a "number" rather than "string". Thanks
to Roberto Atzori for finding this.
Version 2.11.1 (January 25, 2018)
- The shape captions used in the Default (Descriptive) chart
style are a bit more descriptive.
- Source Code Viewer:
- Some of the language names were translated better. In
particular, the word "pseudocode".
- The mouse scroll wheel wasn't working on the Source Code
- QBasic code, in the Source Code Viewer, left off the '#' for
generated functions - such as ToFixed.
- Some of the languages, in the language dropdown menu,
weren't being translated properly.
Version 2.11 (January 15, 2018)
- The Slovenian translation was updated - Thanks to Gregor Anželj
- Source Code Viewer:
- TypeScript was added.
- Scala was added.
- The window GUI was revamped! Each programming language is
now represented using a unique graphical
icon. The icon is used on the main toolbar and new dropdown menu. The "Aligned/Handing Brace" dropdown was
also replaced with a graphical version. It will only be
displayed when it is relevant (rather than just being disabled).
lacking the "Math." prefix and always used parenthesis.
- The scrollbar behavior was improved. It is now disabled if not
- The Change Chart Style toolbar icon was updated (yet again).
- The Clipboard popup menu now aligns to the left on right-to-left
languages such as Arabic and Farsi.
- The Comment Shape's maximum width size (before word wrapping) was
- The "Pastel" color scheme was updated slightly - in particular,
the shade of gray used for comments.
- Program Attributes window
- It now shows the date that the file was last saved. This is not
an editable, but useful, field.
- Pressing F4 from the main window, will now open the Program
- Bug fixes:
- Fixed a minor bug in the Color Scheme Editor. When an image file was
opened, it remained locked (can't be moved, deleted, etc...) until the
editor was closed.
- Opening the Function Manager no longer marks the
program as "changed".
Version 2.10 (November 22, 2017)
The Function Manager was improved. The new version allows entire
functions to be copied. cut, and pasted.
Color Scheme Editor can now be opened with Control-E
Fixed a bug in the Color Scheme Editor. The effects the "dropper" tool.
If a transparent area of a shape is clicked, the color would be
Fixed some minor tab-order issues.
Version 2.9.2 (November 9, 2017)
The Save-As feature, in both the Main Window and the Color Scheme
Editor, works far better now. It will show the current name as a
Updated the Retro Computer color scheme.
Restored textboxes, that are used for expressions, to left-to-right for
Version 2.9.1 (November 4, 2017)
Fixed a bug that effected in Right-To-Left languages.
Version 2.9 (November 3, 2017)
Added support for Korean - special thanks to Inkee Jeong.
- New error message. When a function is used in an expression, it must
have a return value. The new error message properly explains, to the
user, what happened. Beforehand, the error was being handled by Type
Mismatch. This wasn't particularly helpful.
- Output Shapes were improved. Output can now include or exclude the
newline character. This will give better control over output - and allow
the "ASCII art" commonly used in beginning programming.
- Color schemes were improved. The colors of the Comment Shape can now
be customized. Beforehand, it used the same colors as the page.
- A few built-in color schemes were modified.
- Bug fix: When an error occurs, the system will show the shape that
cause the error. Unfortunately, the system failed to do this if the
error occurred in a different function (than the one being displayed)
- Updated the About Window. The new version of the About Window was
designed to maximum screen real estate. The old version was becoming far
- Minor updates to the Error Dialog and Message Dialog windows.
- Minor GUI tweaks.
Version 2.8 (October 7, 2017)
Added support for Dutch - special thanks to Ralf Djojomoenawi &
- If a function is incomplete (missing its return variable), it will
display in gray.
- The comment shape was updated. The left-side connecting line will
always use the color of the rest of the lines. The idea is to prevent it
from "vanishing" if the current scheme's Selection border color is the
same as the background color. In addition, the preview image no longer
displays the left-side connecting line.
- Fixed a bug that occurred when a function, that doesn't return a
value, is used in an expression. While the error message produced now
isn't the best, it is far better than before.
Version 2.7.1 (September 16, 2017)
Fixed a bug in Python generated code. Empty blocks were not including
'pass' statements. Special thanks to Clive Long for reporting the bug.
The internal logic used to draw shapes was updated.
Version 2.7 (September 6, 2017)
Added support for Indonesian - special thanks to Abdul Kadir
The Polish Translation was updated - special thanks to Robert
Updated the logic used to show the Add Shape and Clipboard pop-up
windows. Hopefully, this change will work better for those using WINE to
run Flowgorithm on the Macintosh.
Fixed a bug where lines wouldn't "line up" on Comment Shapes.
The Color Scheme Editor now has a "copy" dropper that will copy all the
attributes (text, fill, and border) from another clicked shape.
The colors used by Comment Shapes was redone. Now, both the text and
border will use the page's text (label) color.
Version 2.6.1 (August 10, 2017)
The Console Window now responds to pressing F5, F6, F7, and F8. These
are used to Run, Step, Pause, and Stop respectively.
The Italian Translation was updated - special thanks to Roberto
In the Color Scheme Editor, the image scrollbars work far better than
The graphic image, used the various shape edit windows, is better
horizontally centered between the window's edge and the text.
Version 2.6 (August 7, 2017)
- Added support for Farsi (Persian) - thanks to Vahid
Declare Shapes can now support multiple variables. The user can list
different variable names separated by commas.
- To accommodate older versions of Flowgorithm, the application can
now save programs in 1.0 and 2.0 format. The current format is 2.6. The current version can still open any previous file version.
- One of the redundant legacy fields, "variables", in the Declare tag, was removed.
This was designed for forward compatibility with older versions of
Flowgorithm (pre 1.7). Since Flowgorithm can now save to older
formats, it is unnecessary.
- The word-wrapping, used on shapes, was improved. Beforehand, the
text could, sometimes, fail to be vertically centered. The new
logic both resolves this problem and wraps based on syntactic elements
(such as operators).
- Printing was improved:
- The window now opens the Print Common Dialog window. This allows
the user to find printers, set advance features, and much more.
- An icon for portrait & landscape were added.
- Printer settings are now saved to the registry. This includes the
printer's name, landscape, and margins.
- Color Scheme Editor:
- Added a Save-As button.
- When a new color scheme is created, the hover color of the
'line' is now set to orange. Before, it was white.
- The system can catch, and report, Overflow Errors far better than it
- The Console Window now has a limit on the number of items in the
buffer. This prevents the system from running out of resources if (as an
example) a loop prints from 1 to a million. No errors are caused. Early
items are simply removed.
- The Turkish translation was updated.
- The Add Shape pop-up menu and Clipboard pop-up menu work better than
before. They should appear quicker and properly return focus to the main
window when closed.
- When the flowchart background is double-clicked, the Program
Attributes window will open. Before, the user would left double-click.
It has been changed to right double-click to avoid it being opened
- The message window was updated. In particular, the padding between
graphical elements was increased.
- Bug fixes:
- The thumbwheel on the mouse was moving the scrollbar, but not
updating the window.
- On the Gaddis Chart Style, the assignment caption had extra
- The Console Window no longer aggressively sets its Z-Order.
Before, anytime the window received output, it would force itself on
top of all the other windows. This made it difficult to stop the
program from the Main Window.
Version 2.5.4 (June 16, 2017)
- Fixed a bug in the Variable Watch Window. It was not
translating the label "Main" into the current language.
- Double-clicking on the main window's background will now
open the Program Properties window. This was an old feature that
was removed before the shape selection object was updated.
However, it wasn't re-enabled until now.
Version 2.5.3 (June 15, 2017)
- Updated an even better translation for Italian - Thanks to Roberto Atzori
- Improved the Color Scheme Editor. The internal logic, used
to determine if a color scheme was changed, was improved.
- Fixed a bug in the Color Scheme Editor. The Open Image
dialog was not being translated.
- The "If' Shape appearance was improved. Padding was added
around the text - so the line and text should not overlap.
- Some miscellaneous changes to windows - minor and probably
Version 2.5.2 (June 14, 2017)
- Updated the translation for Italian (fixing my Google
Translate text) - Thanks to Roberto Atzori
- Fixed a bug that prevented the key combinations of Control+
and Control- from zooming the main window.
Version 2.5.1 (June 12, 2017)
- Updated the translation for Traditional Chinese - Thanks to 黃昕暐
- Updated the Color Scheme Editor. Now the editor, opens the
current scheme. It also applies any changes to the main window.
- The icon used for Traditional Chinese (the Taiwanese flag),
was updated with a better version.
Version 2.5 (June 8, 2017)
- Added support for Traditional Chinese - Thanks to 黃昕暐
- Customized Color Schemes were added.
- Color schemes
can be created and edited with the use of a new Color Scheme
- The files are saved using the .fclr extension.
- To make
it easy to load schemes, "open" buttons were added to the Print,
Export Bitmap, Export Scalable Graphics, and Change Chart Style
- The Variable Watch Window now graphically displays the name
of the current function.
- Chart preview images (used in the Print, Export Bitmap,
Export Scalable Graphics, and Chart style) were improved.
They are larger, contain an additional shape, and show text on
- Auto-scrolling, used when the window automatically scrolls
when selecting shapes, works far better now.
- Window activation works better now. Beforehand, if the user
chose to show a window, but it was minimalized, it stayed
minimalized. Now, the window will normalize.
- Source Code Viewer:
- PHP was added. It contains both
the "hanging" and "aligned" brace formatting styles.
- Apple Swift 3 was added. Swift 2 was retained.
- Fixed in a bug in Python generated code. The code was
using 'true' and 'false' rather than 'True' and 'False'.
Thanks to Jon Rios for reporting this.
- The "Traffic" color scheme was modified to have a blue
background. The original color scheme can still be downloaded on
the Color Schemes page.
Version 2.4.3 (March 18, 2017)
- Fixed a bug in C# generated code. The generated source code uses
'boolean' rather than 'Boolean'.
Special thanks to Jeffrey Burton.
Version 2.4.2 (March 18, 2017)
- Fixed a bug in Python generated code. The bug affected For Loops.
Special thanks to Dave Braunschweig.
Version 2.4.1 (March 17, 2017)
- Fixed a minor bug that caused the Function Dropdown to flicker when
the language was set to Thai.