Version 2.7.1 (September 16, 2017)
Fixed a bug in Python generated code. Empty blocks were not including
'pass' statements. Special thanks to Clive Long for reporting the bug.
The internal logic used to draw shapes was updated.
Version 2.7 (September 6, 2017)
Added support for Indonesian - special thanks to Abdul Kadir
The Polish Translation was updated - special thanks to Robert
Updated the logic used to show the Add Shape and Clipboard pop-up
windows. Hopefully, this change will work better for those using WINE to
run Flowgorithm on the Macintosh.
Fixed a bug where lines wouldn't "line up" on Comment Shapes.
The Color Scheme Editor now has a "copy" dropper that will copy all the
attributes (text, fill, and border) from another clicked shape.
The colors used by Comment Shapes was redone. Now, both the text and
border will use the page's text (label) color.
Version 2.6.1 (August 10, 2017)
The Console Window now responds to pressing F5, F6, F7, and F8. These
are used to Run, Step, Pause, and Stop respectively.
The Italian Translation was updated - special thanks to Roberto
In the Color Scheme Editor, the image scrollbars work far better than
The graphic image, used the various shape edit windows, is better
horizontally centered between the window's edge and the text.
Version 2.6 (August 7, 2017)
- Added support for Farsi (Persian) - thanks to Vahid
Declare Shapes can now support multiple variables. The user can list
different variable names separated by commas.
- To accommodate older versions of Flowgorithm, the application can
now save programs in 1.0 and 2.0 format. The current format is 2.6. The current version can still open any previous file version.
- One of the redundant legacy fields,"variables" in the Declare tag, was removed.
This was designed for forward compatibility with older versions of
Flowgorithm (pre 1.7). Since Flowgorithm can now save to older
formats, it is unnecessary.
- The word-wrapping, used on shapes, was improved. Beforehand, the
text could, sometimes, fail to be vertically centered. The new
logic both resolves this problem and wraps based on syntactic elements
(such as operators).
- Printing was improved:
- The window now opens the Print Common Dialog window. This allows
the user to find printers, set advance features, and much more.
- An icon for portrait & landscape were added.
- Printer settings are now saved to the registry. This includes the
printer's name, landscape, and margins.
- Color Scheme Editor:
- Added a Save-As button.
- When a new color scheme is created, the hover color of the
'line' is now set to orange. Before, it was white.
- The system can catch, and report, Overflow Errors far better than it
- The Console Window now has a limit on the number of items in the
buffer. This prevents the system from running out of resources if (as an
example) a loop prints from 1 to a million. No errors are caused. Early
items are simply removed.
- The Turkish translation was updated.
- The Add Shape pop-up menu and Clipboard pop-up menu work better than
before. They should appear quicker and properly return focus to the main
window when closed.
- When the flowchart background is double-clicked, the Program
Attributes window will open. Before, the user would left double-click.
It has been changed to right double-click to avoid it being opened
- The message window was updated. In particular, the padding between
graphical elements was increased.
- Bug fixes:
- The thumbwheel on the mouse was moving the scrollbar, but not
updating the window.
- On the Gaddis Chart Style, the assignment caption had extra
- The Console Window no longer aggressively sets its Z-Order.
Before, anytime the window received output, it would force itself on
top of all the other windows. This made it difficult to stop the
program from the Main Window.
Version 2.5.4 (June 16, 2017)
- Fixed a bug in the Variable Watch Window. It was not
translating the label "Main" into the current language.
- Double-clicking on the main window's background will now
open the Program Properties window. This was an old feature that
was removed before the shape selection object was updated.
However, it wasn't re-enabled until now.
Version 2.5.3 (June 15, 2017)
- Updated an even better translation for Italian - Thanks to Roberto Atzori
- Improved the Color Scheme Editor. The internal logic, used
to determine if a color scheme was changed, was improved.
- Fixed a bug in the Color Scheme Editor. The Open Image
dialog was not being translated.
- The "If' Shape appearance was improved. Padding was added
around the text - so the line and text should not overlap.
- Some miscellaneous changes to windows - minor and probably
Version 2.5.2 (June 14, 2017)
- Updated the translation for Italian (fixing my Google
Translate text) - Thanks to Roberto Atzori
- Fixed a bug that prevented the key combinations of Control+
and Control- from zooming the main window.
Version 2.5.1 (June 12, 2017)
- Updated the translation for Traditional Chinese - Thanks to 黃昕暐
- Updated the Color Scheme Editor. Now the editor, opens the
current scheme. It also applies any changes to the main window.
- The icon used for Traditional Chinese (the Taiwanese flag),
was updated with a better version.
Version 2.5 (June 8, 2017)
- Added support for Traditional Chinese - Thanks to 黃昕暐
- Customized Color Schemes were added.
- Color schemes
can be created and edited with the use of a new Color Scheme
- The files are saved using the .fclr extension.
- To make
it easy to load schemes, "open" buttons were added to the Print,
Export Bitmap, Export Scalable Graphics, and Change Chart Style
- The Variable Watch Window now graphically displays the name
of the current function.
- Chart preview images (used in the Print, Export Bitmap,
Export Scalable Graphics, and Chart style) were improved.
They are larger, contain an additional shape, and show text on
- Auto-scrolling, used when the window automatically scrolls
when selecting shapes, works far better now.
- Window activation works better now. Beforehand, if the user
chose to show a window, but it was minimalized, it stayed
minimalized. Now, the window will normalize.
- Source Code Viewer:
- PHP was added. It contains both
the "hanging" and "aligned" brace formatting styles.
- Apple Swift 3 was added. Swift 2 was retained.
- Fixed in a bug in Python generated code. The code was
using 'true' and 'false' rather than 'True' and 'False'.
Thanks to Jon Rios for reporting this.
- The "Traffic" color scheme was modified to have a blue
background. The original color scheme can still be downloaded on
the Color Schemes page.
Version 2.4.3 (March 18, 2017)
- Fixed a bug in C# generated code. The generated source code uses
'boolean' rather than 'Boolean'.
Special thanks to Jeffrey Burton.
Version 2.4.2 (March 18, 2017)
- Fixed a bug in Python generated code. The bug affected For Loops.
Special thanks to Dave Braunschweig.
Version 2.4.1 (March 17, 2017)
- Fixed a minor bug that caused the Function Dropdown to flicker when
the language was set to Thai.
Version 2.4 (March 17, 2017)
- The modulo operator (mod, %) is now restricted to positive
integers. Different programming languages treat negative integers
differently - some inheriting the negative sign from the dividend and others the divisor. This can
cause issues with code generation.
- The Console Window and the ToReal() intrinsic function will now
accept commas as the decimal-point. Beforehand, the system would
only accept the period for (for ToReal) and either a comma or period
in the Console Window. To make the output consistent, the system
will always use the international notation - the period.
- The main toolbar was updated. The icon for Clear Breakpoint was
removed and replaced with an icon for Layout Windows.
- When a shape is edited, the system now clears the selection.
This will allow the user to see the shape change from gray
(incomplete) to color.
- Source Code Viewer:
- Improved Java generated code. In particular, the Scanner
library is only included if needed.
- Fixed a major bug that caused the application to crash if a new
Input Shape added.
- Fixed For Loops in Python. For loops use the range() to
create a series of values. However, this does not include the
ending value. Special thanks to Paul Gardner.
- Fixed the generated input functions for VBA. The name
"input" conflicts with a reserved word. Special thanks to
- Cleaned up the IBO Pseudocode.
- Fixed a minor display bug that occurred when a new function was
added. The screen was not updating the alignment - so the new
function was being left-aligned rather than centered.
- Fixed some translation errors (that I made). Special thanks
to Roberto Atzori.
- Fixed a formatting bug in the Console Window. When the
information was displayed in simple text, it was not being aligned
Version 2.3.1 (March 9, 2017)
- Fixed a minor bug with the colors displayed in the Console
Version 2.3 (March 8, 2017)
- Added support for Arabic - Thanks to Amr Ibrahim Khudair
- Added support for Slovenian - Thanks to Gregor Anželj
- The application can now support right-to-left languages. This
required extensive testing and some major internal changes. Special
thanks to Amr Ibrahim Khudair for all his help.
- Added IBO Pseudocode to the Source Code Viewer.
- Flowcharts are now centered in the window. Beforehand, the
flowcharts would always start left-aligned.
- Resizing the main window works far better now. This was an
oversight on my part.
- The scaling of the flowchart works better now.
- Fixed a bug with the ToInteger() and ToReal() intrinsic
functions. They were not allowing the dash "-" used to denote
negative numbers. Thanks to Roberto Atzori for reporting this.
- The icon on the "Enter" button in the Console Window was
Version 2.2 (October 13, 2016)
- Added support for Turkish - Thanks to Cafer Usta
- Added support for Mongolian - Thanks to Tuvshinbayar
- The Italian translation was improved. As new features were
added to Flowgorithm, I manually translated new fields. However,
some were not accurate. Thanks to Roberto Atzori for his help.
- The Export to Vector tool was improved. In particular, Scalable Vector Graphics files
will now work better on many websites and applications. Beforehand, text was aligned vertically using
the "alignment-baseline" attribute. However, not all applications
support it. So, text is now manually aligned.
- Fixed a bug that affected internal lookup tables. It affected
Version 2.1.2 (October 3, 2016)
- The Print feature now uses generated EMF files. The resulting
documents will print quicker and will be higher quality.
- In the last two updates, the size of the text on the Error
Window was too small. I've restored the original appearance.
Version 2.1.1 (September 30, 2016)
- Enhanced the Most Recently Used (MRU) file list. If a file is
not found, it will be removed from the list.
- The MRU will now only be saved to the user's local settings.
- Fixed a minor bug in EMF exported files. The character width of
the ampersand (&) was not being measured correctly.
Version 2.1 (September 27, 2016)
- Added support for Polish - Thanks to R. Robert Gajewski
- Added support for Thai - Thanks to Pongsathorn Sraouthai
- Added a Most Recently Used (MRU) file list.
- The Print Window now displays the printing status on the main status bar
(rather than a local one).
- Updated the EMF files created by the Export to Vector utility.
They should print better than before.
Version 2.0.2 (August 16, 2016) - Bug fix
- Fixed a bug that occurred when a variable was assigned data that
is incompatible with its data type (basic type mismatch). The system
wasn't properly treating it as an error.
Version 2.0.1 (August 4, 2016) - Minor update
- Updated the Hungarian translation.
- Fixed a flaw in the British English translation.
- Fixed a bug in the Source Code Viewer for C++ generated code.
- The Console window now displays a message if a Breakpoint is
- Made some configuration changes to improve installation.
- Some minor cosmetic changes.
Version 2.0 (August 2, 2016)
- Added a new shape: Breakpoint
- The new shape is available from the Add Shape pop-up menu. It
acts as the same as the breakpoint feature found in most
- Add a "Remove Breakpoints" icon to the main toolbar.
- File format was updated. The "fileversion" now displays "2.0"
rather than "1.7". This is based on that fact that newer programs
can save the <breakpoint/> tag. This won't be a problem for older
versions of Flowgorithm. They were designed to simply ignore unrecognized
tags. So, if a program (that contains breakpoints) is opened in a
older version, they will simply be absent.
- Easy right-clicking shapes. Single shapes can be simple clicked and
cut/copy/pasted. This is a highly requested feature.
- Added buttons the Edit Function window that allows parameters to be
- New graphics library! The graphics engine was completely rewritten
using a new design.
- Shapes appear
better - especially the curved edges used by the terminal shape.
- Arrows now display a fine tip (the arrow heads are triangles).
This will be apparent when the flowcharts are displayed in high
- Mouse-overs highlight the entire line. Beforehand, it only
highlighted the top or bottom half of the line.
- Miscellaneous improvements
- Add Shape popup menu displays much, much better.
- Auto scrolling works much better (and is much faster).
- Layout Windows received some minor aesthetic improvements.
- New message dialog windows. The new windows use custom icons
(information, questions, etc...). Also, the buttons are now
- Colors & Styles
- New color scheme: Magic. This color scheme is a homage to Harry
Potter. It uses the 4 house colors, the Sorting Hat, and
- New color scheme: Traffic. This color scheme is based on colors
used in traffic signs. It was inspired by the new breakpoint shape
(which is an octagon).
- Some of the other color schemes were tweaked slightly.
- The Add Shape popup menu shows the "hover" effect using the
a new color. Before, it was always using the menu label color.
- Added a new chart style: Blocks. The style only uses the
- New: Export to Scalable Vector Graphics. Flowcharts can now be
exported to Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) and Enhanced Metafiles